Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RP500 vs RP1000 (boring title I know !)

Default RP500 vs RP1000 (boring title I know !)

Greetings to all on the forum (I have been away for a LONG time ! )

Just looking into getting a MFX unit, having been into tube amps exclusively for quite a while. I think my family would benefit from me getting something I can play silenly through !

In the past, I used to really like the TLSE's lower and mid gain tones, but was not impressed with it's feeble attempts at higher gain.

The RP500 and RP1000 look to have really good spec, and folks seem to be saying that they sound better than the GNX3K, which I always liked clips of, I have to say.

SO my big question is - can anyone explain in a simple way, the differences between the 500 and the 1000 ? They have the same processing power so I'm guessing they have much the same tones. Is the real difference only in terms of functionality ? and those extra 5 footswitches ?

I also see that the 1000 has 2 extra loops, which could be useful. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Your knowledge and experience would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by hamfist; 01-25-2009 at 12:10 PM.
    Guitars - Gordon Smith Graduate, Gordon Smith GS1.5
    FX - Digitech GSP1101
    Amps/Cabs - Samson Servo 200, Marshall 1960a

Moderator - Tree Catcher Insideout's Avatar

Default Re: RP500 vs RP1000 (boring title I know !)

Wont pretend to know much about these units. Just wanted to say welcome back Alan
    Guitars: Carvin DC400, Ibanez S540, 2008 American Deluxe Strat, Agile AL3000, Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II, Applause acoustic, LTD B-50 bass, Framus 12-string acoustic
    Rig :AxeFx II, Carvin DCM1000/LM153's, Liquid Foot Pro, Furman conditioner
    Recording:Tascam US800, Sonar X1 Producer, Cakewalk A-500 Pro midi keyboard

Rob's Soundclick Music
    Rob's Myspace

This space made from 100% post consumer recycled electrons

MAN! What a BOOORRRING TITLE!!!
    ...Just kidding!

How you been Hammy? You know you have been gone so long that I've actually caught up and passed you in number of posts. Not that anyone's paying attention. ...Oh well, maybe I am.

Anyway, I have had the same thoughts as you about the RP500 and 1000. I think they'd be excellent partners with my Womanizer. I know it's not a "real amp". But it sure acts like one. Also, I would bet one of these new Digi MFX would work well with your Dual HT Black Star if you still have it.

One more thing. I think the 1000 has rythmic delay. Where as the 500 I think only has standard.

Anyway, good to see you back.
    E = Fb
    ...Can I get some talent in the monitors please?

"I think the 1000 has rythmic delay."

What the heck is that? Is that the same as tap tempo delay?
    If so, then the RP500 has that. If not, never mind.

RM

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMadd View Post
    "I think the 1000 has rythmic delay."

What the heck is that? Is that the same as tap tempo delay?
    If so, then the RP500 has that. If not, never mind.

RM
    I may be using the term incorrectly. But what I mean is that I believe the 1000 can do stuff with syncopated delay like with U2 and other delay rich bands. I believe you have triplets and dotted eighth notes and what not. And if I am not mistaken, the 500 can only do straight delay.

And I agree that they both have tap tempo delay.
    E = Fb
    ...Can I get some talent in the monitors please?

The RP1000 adds a 2 Tap and "Low Fi" Delay, which are not on the RP500.

In addition to having the looper, effects loop and additional switches for patches the RP1000 adds the following (but the essential modeling is the same as the 500):

OD/DISTORTION:
    Boss OD-1 Overdrive
    Boss SD-1 Overdrive
    DigiTech Amp Driver
    DigiTech Redline Modified Overdrive (RP500 has one as well, some users seemed to have some issues, hence the modified term here?).
    Fulltone OCD Overdrive
    Modified Ibanez TS-9

EFFECTS:
    Electro Harmonix Small Clone
    Voodoo Labs Analog Chorus
    ADA Flanger
    Lo Fi Delay
    2-Tap Delay

AMPS:
    DigiTech Darkmetal
    DigiTech Mosh
    86 Mesa Boogie .22 Caliber
    95 Matchless Chieftain

CABS:
    2x15 68 Sunn 200S w/JBL-Lansings

Look at Tommygunn's attachment in response #60 of this thread:

http://forum.thestompbox.net/showthr...?t=7854&page=6

THanks guys. For me, the couple of extra models and effects are neither here nor there really.
    It sounds like the key thing about the 1000 really is all about it's functionality, inputs/outputs and switching. That sort of thing is harder to get a grip on without actually playing around with the unit.
    Does the 500 have a real-time footswitching interface something like a TLSE or a PodXT ? (both of which I'm familiar with). Basically, if I can change patches within a song, and then go into some sort of edit mode (via a footswitch) to be able to switch on/off delay/boost etc within a patch with the 500, then that would probably be enough for me.

Let's not also forget that the 500 is half the price.
    Guitars - Gordon Smith Graduate, Gordon Smith GS1.5
    FX - Digitech GSP1101
    Amps/Cabs - Samson Servo 200, Marshall 1960a

The RP500 boots up in pedalboard mode. Meaning right off the bat, you can switch on/off individual effects. You can go from patch to patch by using the bank up/down switches to the upper right. This is a departure from Digitech's past default being the preset mode. I like it better this way. So, I'd say yes, it has what you're looking for.

I haven't had the RP500, but one clear advantage IMO for the RP1000 is the 5+5 stomp configuration. With that, you can have...

- 5 stomps to Comp, Dist, Chorus/FX, Delay, Reverb + 5 stomps to presets

or you can have

- 10 stomps to 10 presets

... and that's in addition to the bank up/down switches, and the expression pedal.

Then fun and flexibility offered with this kind of stomp layout is great. But if it's not important to you, the RP1000 might not be worth the extra cash.

Cheers,
    -- Joe
    Columbia, IL
    EB Music Man 25th Anniversary guitar, MTD Heir 5 bass
    iOS stuff, JamUp Pro, VT Bass Deluxe, QSC K12
    Hear me at https://soundcloud.com/joegrant413