Thread: GT-8 MIDI conn via E-MU 1X1 to USB port on computer

Unhappy GT-8 MIDI conn via E-MU 1X1 to USB port on computer

Anyone trying to use the E-MU 1X1 MIDI - USB cable betwen GT-8 and a computer out there? I am fooling with the Sony SoundForge v9.0a and Sony AcipPro v6.0d trial versions (http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/default.asp) to see if I can use the MIDI capability in these packages to trigger from the GT-8.

I am also trying to get the E-MU MIDI-USB (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?q=e-mu) cable to connect from my laptop to the GT-8 using the GT-8 FX Floorboard software from SourceForge.net (http://fxfloorboard.sourceforge.net/). Unfortunately, the GT-8 MIDI dump from system to temp does not result in a file on this package as the MIDI cable I/O lights remain off and the software reports GT-8 not found error upon setting it to receive MIDI from the GT-8.

My setup is as follows:

Epiphone LP Black Beauty Guitar to GT-8 input socket
    GT-8 to headphone via line/headphone socket
    GT-8 to Epiphone Blues 30 amp via Left out socket
    GT-8 MIDI IN & OUT to E-MU IN/OUT cable
    E-MU USB end of cable to laptop USB port
    Sony Soundforge v9.0a or AcidPro v6.0d running on laptop and detecting E-MU 1x1 cable on both in & out MIDI ports.

Can someone help with an explanation on what I am missing to make MIDI out from GT-8 work with MIDI IN on laptop? GT-8 is set as OMNI=ON and all default MIDI settings.

If I can make this work, next step is a sound card from GT-8 digital out socket to soundcard Line-in socket and I can record and trigger MIDI effects between my guitar, GT-8 and laptop running AcidPro during gigs and Soundforge during studio recording!

Thanks.
    Last edited by baatkarlo; 06-12-2007 at 01:33 PM.

Default Re: GT-8 MIDI conn via E-MU 1X1 to USB port on computer

does anything work with this MIDI cable or is the GT-8 the only thing you have tried?

I'm not familiar with the E-MU MIDI USB but I assume you know to connect MIDI IN <-> MIDI OUT and MIDI OUT <-> MIDI IN. Not IN <-> IN & OUT <-> OUT.

When you setup the MIDI devices on your software, is the E-MU showing up as a connection option?
    Scott

'00 Parker Fly Deluxe / '99 Takamine NP-18C / '74 Fender Strat / '76 Ovation 12-string
    Axe-Fx ii / FCB1010 / TC Helicon VoiceLive
    Sennheiser wireless guitar & IEM

Arrow Re: GT-8 MIDI conn via E-MU 1X1 to USB port on computer

I tried this using both Midi in-in and midi in-out and it does not detect the GT-8.

But then I have not tried the cable on anything else like my keyboard. Let me give this a shot using midi in-out connections to test if the cable itself is not dead on arrival.

Thanks.

BTW, yes the E-Mu shows up as a connection option in the software for in and out Midi devices in Soundforge, Acidpro as well as GTFXFloorboard. All fail to connect to GT-8.

Thanks.

OK, here is the test I tried: I used Mr. Sleepy's GT-8 editor and backed up init patches from my GT-8 using MIDI IN on cable hooked up to MIDI OUT on GT-8 and vice versa for the other pair of connectors. This worked fine.
    Then I closed it and opened GTFXFloorboard. It won't connect to GT-8! It does not recognize the GT-8 even after I disconnect the USB cable and reconnect it.

What is the problem in this case with GTFXFloorboard not connecting? It attempts to connect for 30 seconds and quits.

Switching MIDI programs can be finicky. It could have been a timing issue if you opened the floorboard too quick after shutting down Mr. Sleepy's. Try a clean boot, plug in the USB MIDI (wait for Windows to recognize it) and then start GTXFloorboard. See if that will allow it to connect. I mess myself up all the time with having multiple programs trying to grab the same connection. Maybe the driver is getting confused.

Speaking of which, have you gone to the manufacturers web site to see if there are any updated drivers for you cable?

Other than that, I can't think of what it might be.

Best of luck!
    Scott

'00 Parker Fly Deluxe / '99 Takamine NP-18C / '74 Fender Strat / '76 Ovation 12-string
    Axe-Fx ii / FCB1010 / TC Helicon VoiceLive
    Sennheiser wireless guitar & IEM

I am running Vista and tried a clean boot - with E-Mu updated driver for Vista for my cable. Same issue - GTFXFloorboard won't recognize GT-8.

Hi there,

I'll jump in, in the middle, and add a little to the great info you are getting so far.

1. Is everything communicating on the same midi channel. You mentioned one item set to Omni but did not mention the others. Here is the issue. SOME hardware/software go through a "handshake" procedure where they ask if anyone is there. If they don't get an answer, they just quit after a while - sound familuar?

2. Vista is a can of worms so far when it comes to dirvers and MIDI drivers in particular. Programmers are all learning the ins and outs. If you have the latest that is all you can do. Do you have another computer with XP/ME you can try?

3. Just because a driver shows up on the "MIDI Devices" page of your software does NOT mean that it is "initialized". Usually you must "highlight" it (and all others) that you want to use - is the USB driver highlighted or just showing up in the list? If you have multiple drivers try moving the USB driver to the TOP of the list.

You can download a great MIDI tool called MIDI-OX here www.midiox.com and it will show all midi activities. Great for tracking down things like this. AND it will help us help you.
    And, it's free!

4. My guess is that it is something in the way of a "setting" on either the send or receive on one of these items in the chain. (if it's not the vista driver).

Hang in there, it will work - I'm sure.

Blessings, Bo Baker

I switched to XP Pro SP2 back from Vista for many reasons, not the least of which is that I can usemy EMu Midi 1X1 USB to MIDI cable with my GT-8 to connect it to the the Partheus Software GT-Manager application. It's working like a charm and Kewlpacks GT-8 Patches zipfile works on this too!

I have moved to deeper pro-studio setup since posting the last message and now have EMu 1616M, EMu XBoard 49 MIDI Controller working flawlessly on my laptop for mastering grade recording capabilities!

Thanks for the tip on EMu 1X1 cable's MIDI IN goes to GT-8 MIDI OUT and vice versa. That alone saved the day!

Multieffcts/Loop Station:
    BOSS GT-8, RC-50
    Recording studio gear:
    EMu 1616m, EMu XBoard 49, EMu 1X1 MIDI cable
    Guitars & Amp:
    Epiphone LP Custom Black Beauty, Blues Custom amp
    Yamaha SLG100N
    Software:
    EMu Proteus X2, Protean Drums, MoPhatt, World soundbanks for EMu 1616m
    Ableton Live 6.0.10, Amplitube LE, Cubase LE, Disk Welder Bronze, Sonar LE, T-Rack EQ
    Hardware:
    HP ZE5470US Laptop with 2Gb RAM, 2.8GHz P4 & 160Gb HD.
    Last edited by baatkarlo; 11-04-2007 at 10:25 PM.