Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carvin V3MC! Maybe this is the One 4 ME!

Default Carvin V3MC! Maybe this is the One 4 ME!

I've been looking around a while for a new tube amp that is versatile, not too big, and not too pricey! This one might be the one I've been looking for. I want something that can do good cleans, blues, jazzy sounds, classic & hard rock, to 80's hair metal & Nu Metal. This one seems to have all that covered and regular price is reachable at $899, but they are having a sale for $799 plus free foot switch and what I really like is it can do 50/22/7watts. It seems a little familiar to a mesa with all the extra switches like brite,lush reverb. I need to sell a few items here and there before taking the dive. Here are a couple of vid's to check out! It comes in a head version and 1X12 combo version which is the one I want!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P06_kNYvxQE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUUrRVldYlY&NR=1

Will
    AS IRON SHARPENS IRON, SO ONE MAN SHARPENS ANOTHER! Play What You Feel and Feel What You Play!

Guitars:81 Gibson Explorer2, Peavey SSH Blue Quilt Super Strat, MK VexNV w/Black Vapor Finish,Ibanez RG Premium/Red Desert Quilt Top Greg Bennett D8CE Acoustic Electric

Amps: Blackstar HT Club 40, Roland KC300 & QM-30 Monitors

Effects:RP1000,BBE SS,Boss GE-7 EQ,Polytune

(Other Effects I Own)
    Boss Micro BR Digital Recorder, Boss RC-2 Looper
    Dan Electro OD-1, Boss DS-1, Vintage early 70's MXR Phaser 100
    Dan Electro Metal II, Dan Electro Rock Pedal

Default Re: Carvin V3MC! Maybe this is the One 4 ME!

Looks interesting, although I question the term 'micro' being associated with a 50W amp.
    Matt

Gear: Um... yeah... changing that up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by mwc2112 View Post
    Looks interesting, although I question the term 'micro' being associated with a 50W amp.
    Yeh,Yeh, I got it!
    Maybe micro giant or something like that! ANYWAY, reminds me a lot of something mesa has done, just not as expensive.

Will
    AS IRON SHARPENS IRON, SO ONE MAN SHARPENS ANOTHER! Play What You Feel and Feel What You Play!

Guitars:81 Gibson Explorer2, Peavey SSH Blue Quilt Super Strat, MK VexNV w/Black Vapor Finish,Ibanez RG Premium/Red Desert Quilt Top Greg Bennett D8CE Acoustic Electric

Amps: Blackstar HT Club 40, Roland KC300 & QM-30 Monitors

Effects:RP1000,BBE SS,Boss GE-7 EQ,Polytune

(Other Effects I Own)
    Boss Micro BR Digital Recorder, Boss RC-2 Looper
    Dan Electro OD-1, Boss DS-1, Vintage early 70's MXR Phaser 100
    Dan Electro Metal II, Dan Electro Rock Pedal

"Micro" might have something to do with weight...36 Lbs. for a tube combo is really quite LIGHT. I bet it has toroidal transformers, and an aluminum frame.
    Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results.
    -George S. Patton

http://www.facebook.com/josh.lawson1

https://www.facebook.com/JoshLawsonG...hnicalServices

Wow, didn't even catch that... and the head is only 19lbs! That's insane for a 50W tube amp.

For only 15" wide they sure do pack a lot on that front panel.
    Matt

i had the full hundred watt version and i sold it because the distortion was just too messy feeling. not focused like a mesa or clear like a marshall, just kinda mushy.

maybe you can get some good tone out of it though. i did a quick video on youtube with it where my nephew was trying to get a mesa tone from it. many people liked the tone we got, enough to buy the head from me.

the bottom line is that it's a carvin head....don't expect it to sound like any other brand and you will be ok.
    "let your heart be pure, have a clear conscience, and ask for more faith".

I just recently watched the videos and I think if I were looking for a guitar amp, I would pass on this one. I haven't heard any good crunch sounds without that sizzling high-end. Maybe they just haven't dialed it in in the demos to get that, but it's definitely not my cup o' tea. Their Vintage series is the only one that really strikes my fancy as it has much less of that modern-gain tone then many of their other amps.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by singtall View Post
    the bottom line is that it's a carvin head....don't expect it to sound like any other brand and you will be ok.
    And, really, that's the way it should be. If they sounded like someone else then there would be no reason to buy a Carvin. Then again, we did just mention price, didn't we
    Can't wait to be home with papa.

Quote Originally Posted by mannydingo View Post
    And, really, that's the way it should be. If they sounded like someone else then there would be no reason to buy a Carvin. Then again, we did just mention price, didn't we
    Yup, price. If it had cleans like a good Fender Blackface, a Plexi crunch channel, and a sizzling lead tone (Mesa? Soldano?) then I would give it a serious look. They don't have to be spot-on to those amps, but I would love something in the same vein at that price point. I just don't dig the high end on that style of rhythm tone... and the clean is a bit sterile.
    Matt

What about the Carvin amp line that Steve Vai designed? Weren't they based on his Bogners?
    http://martinwebb.webs.com/
    http://martinwebb.bandcamp.com/album/anjar

Guitars: 2 Parker Customized P-38s, Customized Line 6 Variax , Godin Mulitiac, Guild 3/4 Fretless Archtop, Lute-Guitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Squier Deluxe Jazz Bass V, 5 String Touch Bass, Electric Violin

Amps: Fab Metalhead/Splexi Class A Head, Carvin DCM150 Power Amp, 2 Avatar 2x12 Cabs, Avatar Vintage 1x12 Cab, Weber Mini-Mass, Behringer Ultra G-100, Guitar Rig 4

Effects: Rolls RPX Midi Effects Loop Switcher, Planet Waves Tuner, Morley A/B Box, Boss DS-1 w Keeley Ultra mod, Franklin modded Boss SD-1, Maxon Phase-Shifter, Behringer Hellbabe Wah, Original 70's Crybaby, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Boss G-10 Midi Interface, YRG Midi Controller