PDA

View Full Version : Traynor YCS 100H Head Amp

joegrant413
03-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Has anyone checked this baby out..?

Cheers,
-- Joe

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Special-100H-100W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481158

Traynor YCS100H Custom Special 100H 100W Guitar Amp Head

Truly independent channel control is a hallmark of this born to burn guitar amp!

The Custom Special 100H's true three-channel architecture offers full control of each and every channel. No shared EQ's or pseudo "channels" here. Every channel on the YCS100H amplifier head has individual gain and volume controls, a full three band EQ, boost level and its own effects return and reverb settings.

Powered by four EL34EH's the YCS100H has two power levels, a true 100-watt Class AB mode, and a more manageable 30-watt Class A configuration ideal for recording or rehearsal. Four 12AX7A's make up the all tube pre-amp stage. To ensure maximum versatility, the YCS100H has an in-line pre-amp send / power amp return for in-line effects, and a side chain effects send with individual effects return level controls for every channel.

joegrant413
03-11-2009, 12:20 PM
What I like:

- Multiple channels you can footswitch
- 30W or 100 W.
- Reverb on a head unit... yeah!
- $999 is a great buy if indeed this is a good-sounding, quality amp head

-- Joe

spknoevl
03-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Looks like they've got themselves a winner there.

mwc2112
03-11-2009, 12:38 PM
It's an excellent amp if you're looking for a 3-channel amp. If you want something a little lighter and want to go the 2-channel + boost route the YCS50 is awesome too (head or combo).

joegrant413
03-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Glad to hear you've checked it out!

I'll have to demo it sometime. The other interesting thing is it has outputs to go to a PA or headphones. But it probably weighs a ton:o/

-- Joe

mwc2112
03-11-2009, 01:10 PM
But it probably weighs a ton:o/

Click on your own link you posted... the weight is listed towards the bottom of the specs. ;)

GLUGSTER
03-11-2009, 01:17 PM
42 pounds...that's nothing! My PV Butcher head is around 65 LBS. !!
I have a feeling along with the Kustom Double Cross, this thing is a total beast! Durability would be my only concern.

mwc2112
03-11-2009, 01:20 PM
My PV Butcher head is around 65 LBS. !!

I almost got one of those a couple years ago. I hear they're pretty sweet Plexi-ish amps.

Insideout
03-11-2009, 01:35 PM
This looks intersting to say the least. Lots of cool features. I don't see where you could change channels with anything other than the included footswitch though - bummer :(

mwc2112
03-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Doesn't support MIDI if that's what you're going for Rob. Funny enough, the footswitch actually uses a MIDI cable, but that's just a cable. Pretty smart, though, to use something that can easily be replaced if it breaks.

GLUGSTER
03-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Doesn't support MIDI if that's what you're going for Rob. Funny enough, the footswitch actually uses a MIDI cable, but that's just a cable. Pretty smart, though, to use something that can easily be replaced if it breaks.
They shoulda gone the cat5 line6 style route.

joegrant413
03-11-2009, 04:58 PM
FYI,

I called the local Traynor dealer, and they didn't have this amp, and would want a deposit (hopefully w/o commitment) if I wanted them to bring it in. Later in the conversation, they were suggesting I look at their Rivera equip.

Rivera is fine, no doubt... but pricier.

Anyway, if and when I check it out... it would probably be via an online dealer with a good return policy.

Cheers,
-- Joe

dmock66
03-11-2009, 06:34 PM
I have the YCS50 combo and LOVE it! I think it's one of the best sounding amps you'll find under $2K. I can imagine it would sound sensational through a 4x12 cab. I've only played mine thus far as the combo. I really need to plug it in to my 2x12 cab to see how that sounds.

joegrant413
03-12-2009, 09:06 AM
Hey folks,

I read through a bunch of reviews on Harmony Central (yeah, yeah, I know some of folks think the reviews don't mean anything. But I believe I've learned how to discern some useful info out of them...)

Anyway, in general, here's my take-away from reading them:

- Traynor has very good or great build quality
- The VCS 100 is a great value
- The tone is best when loud or very loud
- The cleans sounds great. I don't discern anyone finds it be second-class compared to Fender.
- The Marshall tone is generally well-liked. Some say it's a bit "thin".
- The Mesa tone is generally praised very well. It has less than noise than Mesa.
- Several of the owners pride themselves in finding gear that is great but not necessarily the best known brands.

Cheers,
-- Joe

P.S. There are not a lot of reviews about Traynor. But my take-away on that is they simply aren't that well-known... nothing negative otherwise. Though, frankly, there is some comfort factor I get in going with a well-known brand that will still be around for as long as I care.

firebrand
03-12-2009, 09:32 AM
I own the TCS-50 Combo. It has, by far, been the best amp I have owned in terms of flexibility and reliability. Even more so than the Mesa Nomad or the L6 Vetta. I have to concur that no amp in its price range can touch it.

The biggest downside is the reverb tank. It is springier than I like, but I am also used to digital verbs.

The best feature for me is I can use the front end, or bypass it entirely and use just the power section. You still have the Master Volume, Presence and Resonance controls usable, the later two can be bypassed. This is fabulous for use with a MFX board like the ToneLab. The odd thing I have discovered is the 15/50 power mode makes no difference when going through the "Power Amp In" jack. If you are looking for a lighter version of the Atomic and have no need for a docking bay, this is your baby.

mwc2112
03-12-2009, 09:40 AM
- The VCS 100 is a great value

I own the TCS-50 Combo.

It's 'YCS' guys. :rockin:

mwc2112
03-12-2009, 09:41 AM
The biggest downside is the reverb tank.

What don't you like about it? I thought it was good... standard Acutronics tank that's in just about every amp these days.

joegrant413
03-12-2009, 10:17 AM
What don't you like about it? I thought it was good... standard Acutronics tank that's in just about every amp these days.

I'm really pretty picky about reverb... so I'd like to hear more any concerns here as well.

-- Joe

P.S. Duly noted... it's "YCS"!

mwc2112
03-12-2009, 10:23 AM
I never really listened to the reverb and thought 'wow, does this stink'. It just sounded like a standard reverb to me.

joegrant413
03-12-2009, 07:10 PM
BTW, online I found two places selling Traynor so far...

- Musiciansfriend

- ProAudioStar - both their eBay store and their own web site. They appear to have a broader Traynor selection.

I'm very comfortable with musiciansfriend. Anyway have experience with ProAudioStar?

Cheers,
-- Joe

firebrand
03-12-2009, 07:47 PM
What don't you like about it? I thought it was good... standard Acutronics tank that's in just about every amp these days. As stated in a review I recently read of the amp:
"the tails are bouncy and they don’t diffuse smoothly".

As I stated earlier:

It is springier than I like, but I am also used to digital verbs.Aside from that the reverb sounds good—and it can hang a great surf-style vibe when turned up. According to the service manual, the verb is not directly driven by a tube like other manufacturers. It could actually be that the tank was designed for optimum "tone" when used with a tube vs. being solid-state driven.

mwc2112
03-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Anyway have experience with ProAudioStar?

Yup, they were good. David (dmock66) also ordered from them. Make sure you submit an offer, they'll drop the price a bit. ;)

dmock66
03-12-2009, 08:43 PM
I bought mine direct from ProStarAudio. I had emailed the guy there and he called me based on the phone number in my signature block. I paid via PayPal and he had my amp shipped within an hour. I got the amp and a cover for $705 (shipped).

As for the reverb - I agree with Matt. I wouldn't say it's fantastic by any stretch, but I also wouldn't say it's horrible. It's pretty standard fare spring reverb tank.

For the record, I've gone to a pair of EL34s in mine and REALLY like the tone! I need to get it biased for those tubes, but I really like the tone. It's a feature rich amp with most all of them being very usable.

As for Traynor being around - they've been building amps since the 70s. I think they're going to continue to be around. They're products are built well and are outstanding values for the dollar. I had a Traynor YCV40WR that was also a great amp but didn't have a Master Volume. The YCS50 does - and frankly it sounds awesome even at low volumes, which is why this is such a winner for me. I play primarily at lower volumes (at church) and this amp really fits that pocket like an old favorite pair of jeans!

I wouldn't hesitate to get another one were mine stolen.

joegrant413
03-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Great info, guys! I'll sleep on it for a bit, but a Traynor amp could make a lot of sense for me. I'd be saying goodbye to at least 2 or three of these amps: DRRI, JC120, or the Zvex Nano, to do it. But it sounds as if the Traynor could cover all of the bases I care about, and then some.

Cheers,
-- Joe

mwc2112
03-12-2009, 09:22 PM
I think it's a good call. The only amps I've had that I liked better were the Diezel Einstein and the Mesa Mark IV if that tells you how much I liked the YCS50. I sometimes wish I still had it, but since I don't play out and I have the family around all the time I just never got a chance to really use it.

dmock66
03-13-2009, 03:19 PM
I've had mine since late '08 and can't see it going away any time soon. Even if I could get a more expensive amp I don't know that I would. If I ever thought I wanted to go the head/cab route I'd get a YCS50 head and a couple cabs to match it with. I really like everything about this amp - it does everything I need and does it all well. I'm VERY pleased with it. I was ready to pull the string on an Egnator Rebel when Matt turned me on to this. With my previous Traynor experience I knew what I was getting. We talked about some of the short-comings of the YCV series and how those things were addressed in the YCS series. It's been everything I hoped for and more. I think it a superior amp to the THD BiValve, and I thought the BiValve was an awesome amp! However, I really prefer the Tryanor on about every level. I also like having a combo again as I RARELY play more than a 1x12 anyway.

You can't go wrong with Traynor amps. They're an incredible value!

joegrant413
03-13-2009, 04:47 PM
It's on its way;)

The guys at ProStarAudio are sending me a refurb shipped for $625. I'll let you know hopefully next week how I like it!

-- Joe

joegrant413
03-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Hmmm.... can't find the YCS 100 product manual online. I expect they'll send one with the amp, but it would be good to read ahead. I'll look at the ones for the other YCS amps.

-- Joe

GLUGSTER
03-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Hmmm.... can't find the YCS 100 product manual online. I expect they'll send one with the amp, but it would be good to read ahead. I'll look at the ones for the other YCS amps.

-- Joe
Hmmm... I coulda swore I've read though it when this amp first came out....I can't remember where though. Big ups on Traynor making these amps self biasing/self matching. That is how you get themost out of your tubes, at all stages of their life!!

joegrant413
03-13-2009, 06:50 PM
One other question (hope you all don't mind...), will it be OK -- OK as in not blowing up anything -- to use this amp with an 8 ohm Avatar cab?

The product page says..

Power at min. impedance (Watts): 2-ohms (30-watt mode) 4-ohms (100-watt mode)

Thanks,
-- Joe

GLUGSTER
03-13-2009, 06:53 PM
One other question (hope you all don't mind...), will it be OK -- OK as in not blowing up anything -- to use this amp with an 8 ohm Avatar cab?

The product page says..

Power at min. impedance (Watts): 2-ohms (30-watt mode) 4-ohms (100-watt mode)

Thanks,
-- Joe
no problem. In fact, tube amps usually work best at 8 or 16 Ohms.

joegrant413
03-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Thanks, bro!

-- Joe

mwc2112
03-13-2009, 08:11 PM
no problem. In fact, tube amps usually work best at 8 or 16 Ohms.

Why do you say that? It has more to do with the rating of the output transformer then whether it is tube or not.

joegrant413
03-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Hey Matt,

In the case of the Traynor YCS 100, you think I'll be at least reasonably safe with an 8 ohm cab? Or had I better give Traynor a call on Monday? This is my first head amp -- aside from the rather unusual Nano.

Cheers,
-- Joe

mwc2112
03-13-2009, 08:35 PM
It should be fine. On the back of the amp there's an ohm selector switch. There's a setting which will run it at 8 ohms in 100W mode or 4 ohms in 30W mode. The other setting runs it at 4 ohms in 100W and 2 ohms in 30W. You'll want the 1st setting.

joegrant413
03-13-2009, 08:37 PM
Gracias!
-- Joe

GLUGSTER
03-13-2009, 11:14 PM
Why do you say that? It has more to do with the rating of the output transformer then whether it is tube or not.
Yes, but most tube amps seem to be rated at 4 Ohm minimum. Some old Fenders are rated at 2 Ohm, but this is fairly unusual. The amps I've owned sounded tighter and slightly better at 16 and 8 Ohm when rated at 4 Ohm min.

mwc2112
03-14-2009, 06:42 AM
Yes, but most tube amps seem to be rated at 4 Ohm minimum. Some old Fenders are rated at 2 Ohm, but this is fairly unusual. The amps I've owned sounded tighter and slightly better at 16 and 8 Ohm when rated at 4 Ohm min.

Yeah, but a 'minimum' rating doesn't mean the higher the better. You're making that assumption based coming to a seemingly logical conclusion that if only the minimum range is specified, then the maximum range is wide open. Not the case. It may be that the YCS100 can 'tolerate' a 16ohm load, but it may not optimally run with that load.

Here's a good read from Tube Amp FAQ (http://www.geofex.com/tubeampfaq/TUBEFAQ.htm#XformImped). Pay particular attention to the part around where I highlighted in red.

Q: Why do I have to match speakers to the output impedance of the amp?
A: You'll get the most power out of the amp if the load is matched.
Q:Will it hurt my amp/output transformer/tubes to use a mismatched speaker load?
Simple A: Within reason, no.
Say for example you have two eight ohm speakers, and you want to hook them up to an amp with 4, 8, and 16 ohm taps. How do you hook them up?
For most power out, put them in series and tie them to the 16 ohm tap, or parallel them and tie the pair to the 4 ohm load.
For tone? Try it several different ways and see which you like best. "Tone" is not a single valued quantity, either, and in fact depends hugely on the person listening. That variation in impedance versus frequency and the variation in output power versus impedance and the variation in impedance with loading conspire to make the audio response curves a broad hump with ragged, humped ends, and those humps and dips are what makes for the "tone" you hear and interpret. Will you hurt the transformer if you parallel them to four ohms and hook them to the 8 ohm tap? Almost certainly not. If you parallel them and hook them to the 16 ohm tap? Extremely unlikely. In fact, you probably won't hurt the transformer if you short the outputs. If you series them and hook them to the 8 ohm or 4 ohm tap? Unlikely - however... the thing you CAN do to hurt a tube output transformer is to put too high an ohmage load on it. If you open the outputs, the energy that gets stored in the magnetic core has nowhere to go if there is a sudden discontinuity in the drive, and acts like a discharging inductor. This can generate voltage spikes that can punch through the insulation inside the transformer and short the windings. I would not go above double the rated load on any tap. And NEVER open circuit the output of a tube amp - it can fry the transformer in a couple of ways.
Extended A: It's almost never low impedance that kills an OT, it's too high an impedance.
The power tubes simply refuse to put out all that much more current with a lower-impedance load, so death by overheating with a too-low load is all but impossible - not totally out of the question but extremely unlikely. The power tubes simply get into a loading range where their output power goes down from the mismatched load. At 2:1 lower-than-matched load is not unreasonable at all.
If you do too high a load, the power tubes still limit what they put out, but a second order effect becomes important.
There is magnetic leakage from primary to secondary and between both half-primaries to each other. When the current in the primary is driven to be discontinuous, you get inductive kickback from the leakage inductances in the form of a voltage spike.
This voltage spike can punch through insulation or flash over sockets, and the spike is sitting on top of B+, so it's got a head start for a flashover to ground. If the punchthrough was one time, it wouldn't be a problem, but the burning residues inside the transformer make punchthrough easier at the same point on the next cycle, and eventually erode the insulation to make a conductive path between layers. The sound goes south, and with an intermittent short you can get a permanent short, or the wire can burn though to give you an open there, and now you have a dead transformer.
So how much loading is too high? For a well designed (equals interleaved, tightly coupled, low leakage inductances, like a fine, high quality hifi) OT, you can easily withstand a 2:1 mismatch high.
For a poorly designed (high leakage, poor coupling, not well insulated or potted) transformer, 2:1 may well be marginal. Worse, if you have an intermittent contact in the path to the speaker, you will introduce transients that are sharper and hence cause higher voltages. In that light, the speaker impedance selector switch could kill OT's if two ways - if it's a break befor make, the transients cause punch through; if it's a make before break, the OT is intermittently shorted and the higher currents cause burns on the switch that eventually make it into a break before make. Turning the speaker impedance selector with an amp running is something I would not chance, not once.
For why Marshalls are extra sensitive, could be the transformer design, could be that selector switch. I personally would not worry too much about a 2:1 mismatch too low, but I might not do a mismatch high on Marshalls with the observed data that they are not all that sturdy under that load. In that light, pulling two tubes and leaving the impedance switch alone might not be too bad, as the remaining tubes are running into a too-low rather than too-high load.

joegrant413
03-16-2009, 12:00 PM
FYI,

Traynor responded to me email already this morning. If interested, here's the product manual...

http://www.traynoramps.com/downloads/manuals/omycs100h2.pdf

Cheers,
-- Joe

firebrand
03-16-2009, 05:55 PM
One of the highlights of this series is Traynor's built-in DI. I don't use a mic with this amp. I have found it incredibly easy to get the same sound I hear on stage coming through the mains using that connection. I have not been able to say this with any other amp I have owned including the Vetta.

Insideout
03-16-2009, 07:41 PM
One of the highlights of this series is Traynor's built-in DI. I don't use a mic with this amp. I have found it incredibly easy to get the same sound I hear on stage coming through the mains using that connection. I have not been able to say this with any other amp I have owned including the Vetta.

That is a highly intriguing feature. If I remember correctly, it has a ground lift as well so ground loop is not an issue. Nice touch.

firebrand
03-17-2009, 07:27 AM
Do give us a complete rundown of the amp when you have it.
And, please post a note here so I'll know when this happens
:insane:

joegrant413
03-17-2009, 08:22 AM
You bet!
-- Joe

joegrant413
03-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Some quick first thoughts about the Traynor 100

- My best tube tones have come using a clean boost pedal into all three channels, or using a touch of modded DS-1 on channel 2. This has also happened with other tube amps, and the slight push from good stomps is something that doesn't really apply to solid-state amps.

- Everything looks and feels well-built.

- I've been doing a lot of AB comparison between my other amps with the Traynor while using the RP1000 and the Solid Metal. With the big caveat that the Traynor is using a different cab and my RP patches were tweaked for the JC120, the JC120 does sounded a bit better and fuller than the Traynor with a closed back 2x12 cab. Not a huge difference, and sometimes the Traynor sounded better. BTW, I put the RP into the Traynor's "Amp In" jack, and the JC120's FX Return jack. It must be understood, though, that the Traynor and the RP sounded very good and I am generally happy with the result.

- The Solid Metal sounds just great with the Traynor clean channel. Maybe just flat out better than the Traynor's own OD channels.

Anyway, still too early to reach conclusions, and another post will come with my judgments on the Traynor 100 and what implications this will have on the growing guitar gear store I currently have in the basement:whistler:

Cheers,
-- Joe

dmock66
03-27-2009, 08:12 AM
I played my YCS50 combo again last night in band practice. The more I play this amp the more I like it. I lowered the channel volume a bit (down from around NOON to around 10:00) and raised the Master Volume (up from around 10:00 to about 2:00) and it makes the amp sound even better! I have to say that I just REALLY like the tone of this amp all the way around. The clean channel is rich and full. The gain channel is clear and punch. The "boost" on the gain channel adds what you need for leads to get through the mix. I split my effects between running to the input (compressor and gain pedals) and in the loop (modulations and delay). This setup is excellent for what I do. I have ODs for the lighter stuff and the gain channel set with the gain at 3:00, which is as heavy a sound as I need.

I would absolutely IMMEDIATELY get another were mine lost/stolen/totalled. In fact, even if I could get a far more expensive amp I'd probably still replace it with this Traynor as I really believe it's the best sounding amp under the $2000 price tag. I far prefer this to the much more expensive THD BiValve I had directly before it (and that is a NICE amp!).

Just my $.02 - but I really think the Traynors are among the best tube amps out there right now. They don't get the name recognition of some of their competitors, but they absolutely deliver on tone. Were I touring I'd have a head with an assortment of cabs to fit to the venue - but for what I do, the combo is perfect.

YMMV.

firebrand
03-27-2009, 11:28 AM
I completely agree with dmock66.
As a weekend warrior musician for the past 20 of the 21 years I have played, this is a solid amp. Traynor hit their stride with this one, and I am looking forward to testing out one of the 3 channel heads in the very near future. I have played a couple other amps that sound this good, but none have been this reliable, including the 'solid state' amps.

dmock66
03-27-2009, 01:52 PM
I completely agree with dmock66.
As a weekend warrior musician for the past 20 of the 21 years I have played, this is a solid amp. Traynor hit their stride with this one, and I am looking forward to testing out one of the 3 channel heads in the very near future. I have played a couple other amps that sound this good, but none have been this reliable, including the 'solid state' amps.

Agreed. I've not played another amp I either like as well or trust as much.

I'd also be interested in a 3 channel head. I'll have to check that out. The boost on the gain channel effectively acts as a 3rd channel so I thought that's what you meant - but it actually has three channels? Hmmm...

I don't play "out" in large enough gigs at this point to need anything more than the YCS50 1x12 combo. If I do I can bypass the in-amp speaker and plug it into my 2x12 cab. That would be plenty enough for now.

... but it is just a tremendous amp.

I agree - they've really hit their stride with this one. I liked the YCV40WR I had but never was able to turn it up enough to get to a sweet spot. The MV of the YCS series takes care of that - as does the 15 Watt Class A setting. Yes... just a sweet piece o gear.

joegrant413
03-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Just played another couple of hours with the 100H. Some points:

- With this amp, a good cab, and the Glass Nexus, you really have a very full pallet of quality tones. Probably all you really need.

- The features on this amp offer ridiculous flexibility at this price point. (Keep in mind I got it as a refurb for $625 with full 2 year unconditional warranty!) Not only does the boost offer good tones, but there's also a solo boost on top of that.

- I got great snappy cleans using channel 3 with the GN tremolo, the amp at 100w, brightness on, and the master cranked up.

- My fav OD channel tones came with the boost on, 30w mode, gain at 1 or 2 o'clock, volume low around 9 o'clock, master volume up at round 1 or 2 o'clock. I read elsewhere to get that master volume up, and so far cranking the master and lowering the volume seems to work better.

- BTW, I'm getting all of these great tones without blowing the roof off. Sure, this amp can get crazy loud, but it doesn't have to be loud to be very tasty.

- Yes, 4CM with the RP1000 sounds very good. But for the most I'd rather just hear the Traynor preamp channels and the Glass Nexus.

Again, bottom line, a superb variety of tube tones... so far, thumbs up;)

Having said all that, I'm pretty sure I'm still keeping the DRRI. Those cleans and that voicing can't be reproduced otherwise and always inspire me ; and it really feels like I'll kick myself if I sell it. The JC120, the Zvex Nano -- both of which I greatly enjoy -- and a couple of pedals will go.

Cheers,
-- Joe

dmock66
03-27-2009, 03:18 PM
Just to share how I run my YCS50 -

I have the gain channel volume just under 10:00 with the gain around 3:00. I use it as my "heavier" gain tone. I have a sensational OD that I use through the clean channel for my lighter gain tones. I have the clean channel volume a little higher than the gain channel as that's about where they end up being in unity when I switch back and forth. The Master is at around 1:30. I have two EL34s (Mesas) in mine and always run it in 15W Class A mode. I don't want a ton of volume and will agree whole-heartedly with Joe (and I know Matt will also agree as he's the one who sold me on this amp for this reason), the YCS series produces incredible tones at low volumes. I'm very happy with the fullness that I get from a 1x12 combo in 15 watt mode at just around living room stereo volume levels.

Tonight I'm going to run some A/B comparisons between a Sennheiser 609e on the speaker and the DI out of the amp to see how the two tones compare. If the DI works as well as was posted earlier on this thread I'm going to use that from here on instead of trying to get the mic lined up in the same place on the speaker every time I play.

fetchmybeer
04-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Nice to see Traynor getting some love. I've had the YCV80Q for about 5 years now. Got it in a real good deal for about $699 new, IIRC...maybe even less. Google search was my friend in that case.

My experience with that amp sounds similar to what you all are describing. The cleans are the highlight of the Traynors. They are very nice and boomy (some would say the amps are a bit too boomy), and have pretty much zero amp noise. The distortion is suitable, though I could never get it to really sound like I wanted, even with the scoop switch. Some of the switches on there were unusable for me, and I think my XLR output didn't even work (but my direct output did)...but those are peculiar features for particular tastes.

I found the amp sounded even better when I replaced the stock Sovteks with some JJs and Tung Sols, so that's an option if any of you want to experiment. I don't know what tubes the YCS is shipped with.

mwc2112
04-03-2009, 06:30 AM
The distortion sounds on the YCS series crush the ones on the YCV series like a rotten grape. There is really no comparison. I also had the YCV80 and it was a good amp, but you're right about the distortion sounds, just not quite there... and I was probably looking at the other extreme then you for those (I dislikeed the scoop sound, but I'm not looking for metal or highly saturated distortions). Pedals seemed to work better (and fortunately it was a fantastic pedal platform). With the YCS series, though, overdrive/distortion pedals really aren't needed unless you were looking for a totally different distortion sound.

fetchmybeer
04-03-2009, 12:34 PM
The distortion sounds on the YCS series crush the ones on the YCV series like a rotten grape. There is really no comparison. I also had the YCV80 and it was a good amp, but you're right about the distortion sounds, just not quite there... and I was probably looking at the other extreme then you for those (I dislikeed the scoop sound, but I'm not looking for metal or highly saturated distortions). Pedals seemed to work better (and fortunately it was a fantastic pedal platform). With the YCS series, though, overdrive/distortion pedals really aren't needed unless you were looking for a totally different distortion sound.
That's good to know...so what kind of cab or cabs are you using with your Traynor?

mwc2112
04-03-2009, 01:54 PM
I had used the combo.

joegrant413
04-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Have you Traynor amp folks used the EFX send/ return loop (parallel) or the Preamp out / Amp in loop (serial)? For the RP1000, I have been sticking with the serial Amp In.

But I just tried the Glass Nexus with the the EFX parallel loop, and I thought it sounded just fine. The advantage to it is that I can turn the effects loop on/ off or somewhere in between per each channel.

Thanks,
-- Joe

fetchmybeer
04-06-2009, 10:39 PM
I ordered one of these today with the 412B cab... I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival.

joegrant413
04-07-2009, 08:40 AM
Cool! Let us know what you think when you get it.

Cheers,
-- Joe

fetchmybeer
04-11-2009, 04:15 PM
I should get it early next week (hopefully on Monday). For those of you who already have this amp, I'm curious as to what you have found to be the best settings on the various channels for the Brown and Mesa kind of sounds.

fetchmybeer
04-13-2009, 01:13 PM
OK, I received it today with the 412B cabinet...I have a question about ohms because this is my first head amp and I don't want to blow anything up.

The head has a 4 and 8 ohm setting for 100W mode, and a 2 and 4 ohm setting for the 30W mode.

The cab has a 4 and 16 ohm setting for mono, and 8 ohm jacks for stereo.

Since I only have this one cab and have no interest in playing in stereo without a second cab, am I correct in guessing that the 4 ohm setting is the way I want to go?

Also, which speaker output do I use on the head? There are two, but neither is marked for mono, so I'm guessing it doesn't matter. Is that correct?

joegrant413
04-13-2009, 01:36 PM
I don't think there's any difference as far as which output jack you use, I'm pretty sure they are both the same thing.

As for the ohm setting... earlier in this thread you'll see I had a similar question about my 8 ohm cab. For my cab, the answer was to go with the setting having the higher pair of ohm values. I think if you do that and run run your cab at 4 ohm in mono, you'll be OK. BUT I'm not a big authority on this:o/.

If you want to be very careful, you might want to call Traynor, or wait until someone else on this thread comes along!

Good luck,
-- Joe

P.S. Go to page 4 of this thread, or search the thread on the word "ohm" to see that earlier discussion.

Insideout
04-13-2009, 01:58 PM
Since both watt settings have a 4ohm jack, I would just use the 4ohm amp to 4ohm cab and you'll be matched. It shouldn't matter which of the 4ohm jacks you use.

fetchmybeer
04-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Well I plugged that puppy up (I didn't wait for a response in here because I was too excited. Fortunately, nothing exploded) and played away for quite a while. There is a ******* lot you can do with this thing. Obviously, I haven't scratched the surface other than to get some very basic sounds.

The boost option really can help with the clean channel (ch3) if you are more into playing bluesy kind of stuff that doesn't require a lot of distortion. To me, it subs nicely for a boost or blues driver pedal. I had my effects pedals running straight in and not through the loop here and they sounded fine. I need to try them through the loop because using them before the loop on the other 2 channels makes them sound like ****, obviously.

The Marshall channel (ch 2) really changes character if you flip the modern switch. Both modes sound nice, but for now I think I prefer the Marshall channel with the modern off and the scoop engaged. Either way sounds great though.

The Mesa channel (ch 1) is surprisingly crisp. With the same settings as the Marshall channel, I actually found the Mesa to have more clarity in spite of the bottom end. But the channels aren't meant to have the same settings to compare something like that. The Marshall channel can easily be set to have the same amount of clarity. Lots of bottom end and bang for your buck on the Mesa channel, but not fuzzy at all.

To whoever said the distortions on these crush those on the YSV models like a grape, you were correct. The Marshall channel would be the most comparable to the one on the YSV model, but the Marshall channel on this YCS seems a lot more tweakable to me. You can dial in vintage stuff easily, and even get some pretty dandy metal tones on it (close but less than what I've heard on the Kerry King Marshall, but I've only seen YouTube vids of that). The Mesa channel is obviously best for the scooped, heavy, demonic stuff, but the Marshall subs nicely if you want to go "metal-light."

Very solid amp in construction. The FedEx guy almost died lifting the cab off the truck. Poor guy didn't have a ramp or a dolly. The amp head is the original H model and not the new H2, which really looks a bit cooler with the new logo (my amp cab has the new logo), but it looks much cooler in person than it does in pictures, and frankly I don't mind the old t-bird kind of logo.

Great bang for the buck.

joegrant413
04-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Cool! Thanks for the report so far. I guess I have the original H model as well, since it has the thunderbird kind of logo you speak of.

Just curious, have you ever owned a Dual or Triple Rectifier? I have not, but only demo'd them. FWIW, I don't consider the Traynor tone to be very close to a recto tone, at least not any closer than that of other high-gain amp tones. I really like the Traynor high-gain channel, though probably not as much as a Mesa Dual Rectifier / Roadster / Road King. Not worth another $1000-$1400 more to get a Roadster though.

I also really like the on-board boost, and find the modern and scoop switches to be pretty cool. However, and YMMV, the tone I get with a separate clean boost into all 3 channels makes the Traynor shine best, with a bigger boost going into channel 2.

BTW, do you have any other cabs to try the Traynor with? I almost always use a closed back 2x12 with Celestions. However, the tone from the clean channel going into the open-back cab on a DRRI sounded pretty sweet.

Hope you enjoy the "honeymoon"!
-- Joe

guitarchief
05-06-2009, 05:22 PM
does anyone know if replacing the EL34's with 6L6 tubes in my ycs100 would make the channel 3 sound more clean because its not a "true" clean sound and its kind of anoying. the amp has 3 distortion channels and not an actual clean channel and i heard that 6L6 tubes sound better for clean stuff and EL34's r more meant for distortion.

joegrant413
05-06-2009, 07:43 PM
I like the channel 3 clean better with a clean boost pedal. Or with the gain at noon. In either case, still below any discernible breakup.

Although this would not appear to be as "clean" as with no gain, it just sounds better to me and more like what I expect from a good clean channel. YMMV...

Cheers,
-- Joe

guitarchief
05-07-2009, 04:30 PM
would an xotic RC booster or whatever work good do u think? cause i was actually thinking about getting one of them anyway

joegrant413
05-07-2009, 04:55 PM
I only know the RC booster by reputation, but I'm sure it would!

If you primarily just want to see if a boost will get you the tone you want from the amp, you might even just want to try a less expensive one first from a place with a good return-policy like Guitar Center. If the boost makes a good difference, great, you can keep it or return it for even a better boost if you'd like. If a boost doesn't help at all, then maybe the Traynor just isn't your cup of tea...

My two cents,
-- Joe

fetchmybeer
05-07-2009, 05:12 PM
You know, it may sound silly, but e-mailing the guys at Traynor for an answer to your question isn't a bad idea. They've actually been really good at communicating with their customers in my experience. I don't know much about the differences in various tubes, but I doubt that changing them for that channel will matter because the tubes aren't causing the distortion so much as the amp is.

Personally, I set the gain at about 3 1/2 and the volume at about 9 to get a clean sound and level that is on par with the other two channels.

You're right though, it isn't really a true clean channel. I actually liked the clean channel in my YCV80Q a bit better, but the difference IMO is negligible when you consider the benefits of channels 1 and 2.

mwc2112
05-07-2009, 05:43 PM
I don't know much about the differences in various tubes, but I doubt that changing them for that channel will matter because the tubes aren't causing the distortion so much as the amp is.

Whether your power tubes cause distortion or not has nothing to do with it. 6L6s and EL34s are completely different tubes and if your amp is not equipped to properly handle switching between them (such as if you have a fixed-biased amp) you could damage your output transformer.

fetchmybeer
05-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Pretty sure the Traynor can handle the different tubes, though I'd have to have my manual in front of me to verify that. Good point otherwise, though.

GLUGSTER
05-07-2009, 07:40 PM
I looked at the layout of this amp and it really has one of the best designs and feature sets I have ever seen. The website didn't have a picture of the footswitch, that I could find.

joegrant413
05-08-2009, 08:18 AM
This pic from musicians' friend includes the footswitch...

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/0/1/9/491019.jpg

Cheers,
-- Joe

P.S. The MF page is pretty good on this product in general...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Special-100H-100W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481158

whdemom
06-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Is the Cab a Closed Back ?

Just wondering because I'm buying that amp and the Half Stack is too big.

Right now Im making a 2x12 cab based on
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/RECTOcabs/Recto2x12H-LG.htm

with 2x celestion v30.

fetchmybeer
06-15-2009, 03:13 PM
The Traynor 412 cabs have a closed back.

GLUGSTER
06-16-2009, 05:27 AM
This amp has been discontinued, according to MF anyway.

fetchmybeer
06-16-2009, 06:41 AM
Yes it has been discontinued, and it looks like proaudiostar doesn't even have any left. However, from what I can tell, the YCS100H2 is the same thing, but with just some cosmetic changes to the logo, etc...

whdemom
06-16-2009, 09:37 AM
From Traynor

The differences are motly cosmetic so you can go with whichever one you like. The price is not greatly different - about $50.00 more for the new one.
Thank you for your enquiry.
Mike